Did I ever tell you about the pencil sharpener issues we had when we moved to Germany? As a new homeschooler, I severely underestimated the amount of pencils we would go through, and how often we would break the lead and have other issues. All I had was a small, hand-held pencil sharpener…. and it broke. I headed to the PX, and they were OUT of sharpeners. I headed to the next closest PX…. they were out too. Of everything. (ah, the joys of military life overseas). I tried to order one online, but Amazon wouldn’t ship it to our APO. I caved, and bought mechanical pencils, and stalked the shelves until about 4 weeks later when they finally got in a couple sharpeners. I had one choice- electric. So I bought it. The darn thing has been the bane of my homeschool day. It chews up pencils. It’s noisy, and the kids love to “feed” things to it. You can imagine how excited I was to see my friend blog about this new, fancy pants pencil sharpener that calls itself the “quietest classroom pencil sharpener”- even better, she said it was a reliable pencil sharpener.
I may just be strange to get excited over something like a reliable pencil sharpener, but I headed right over to the website and asked (ok, maybe I begged) to review one also. Classroom Friendly Supplies was so kind, and shipped me one right now.
So- some key things about this sharpener.
- It has an awesome retro look, and comes in a bunch of pretty colors. Which really doesn’t effect the sharpening skills, but as a homeschooler, I appreciate it being pretty on my dining room shelves.
- It grips the pencil, so it doesn’t slide around or go in at an angle (which the kids always manage to do with our obnoxious electric sharpener). The little ones do struggle with maneuvering the clasp that holds it in place, but it works wonderfully.
- It is much quieter than our other pencil sharpener
- It works quickly
- It gets pencils to a much sharper, finer point than other sharpeners- which I LOVE. I enjoy to draw, and the fine point is a must. It works great on all my pencils, even soft ones.
- It is easy to empty- the drawer simply slides out
- It can be mounted with an included mounting bar, or used as a moveable sharpener
- It’s reliable. Every time, it sharpens perfectly. No more broken lead, no more crooked sharpening jobs.
A few notes on harder to use features
- Like I said, my little ones struggled a little with the clasp. It works great with my 8 year old, but my 6 year old can’t use this sharpener
- It does not fit my “chubby” pencils (you know, the thicker ones for little hands)- BUT, they do make a version for these “first” pencils– the model I have only fits standard pencils, so make sure you check before ordering!
How it works:
I like that the metal plate comes out when you put in the pencil- it stabilizes it, and as you sharpen it, it pulls the pencil and the plate in. When the plate is in, the pencil is done and ready to remove. Easy peasy!
All in all, it’s a great little sharpener. I love using it, and prefer it over the electric, but we’ll have to keep that ton of junk around until the little ones have the dexterity to operate this one. It is fantastic for older kids, and like I said- it’s awfully pretty!
Enter to Win!
Classroom Friendly Supplies has graciously offered a giveaway of one of their sharpeners! Please enter to win using the rafflecopter below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway