Homeschooling through the winter can be rough. The cold weather and dreary clouds do little for your energy level! If you’re looking for a way to perk up your homeschool and get through the mid-year homeschooling blues, considering picking up one of these fun read aloud books.
Reading aloud is a wonderful way to bring the family together each day. It’s low pressure, and your kids will learn vocabulary, pronunciation of challenging words, and how to read with personality and inflection. Grab some cozy blankets, and one of these awesome read aloud books, and have some fun!
- Dragons at Crumbling Castle: This never-before-published collection of fourteen funny and inventive tales by acclaimed author Sir Terry Pratchett features a memorable cast of inept wizards, sensible heroes, and unusually adventuresome tortoises. Great for: Grades 4 – 7
2. Meet Miss Fancy: This is a charming story with tons of teaching moments about segregation and the Civil Rights Movement. Great for: Grades K – 3
3. The Day the Crayons
4. Jack & the Beanstalk: It’s Jack & the Beanstalk like you’ve never heard it before–such a fun take on a classic read aloud! Great for: Grades 3 – 7
5. Sleep Like a Tiger: This precious book will have your kiddos empathizing with the princess who questions the importance of bedtime. Great for: Grades 1 – 3
6. When You Reach Me: A lovely and clever tale of relationships, mystery
7. Mirette on the High Wire: This sweet tale is not an award winner for no reason! Sometimes the youngest ones in our lives can teach us the courage we need. Great for: Grades K – 3
8. The Phantom Tollbooth: This classic novel by Norton Juster is so charming–full of euphemisms and hilarity, but with very important life lessons! Great for: Grades 3 – 6
9. A Wrinkle in Time: If the only knowledge you have of this title is via a movie, please take time to read the written original! This coming of age saga with a twist will make you cheer for the main character until the very last page. Figurative language and great imagery keep the reader engaged. Great for: Grades 5 – 8
10. King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub: Shake the sillies out with this hilarious tale where young ones prove that they are often the wisest minds among us. King Bidgood thinks performing his duties from the tub certainly can’t be a problem-what could go wrong? Great for K – 4th grade (but certainly enjoyed by all ages)